Why Do You Need Vehicle Insurance?
Vehicle insurance requirements can vary by state. This means you’ll need to be sure you get the right coverage for your area. And depending on how many vehicles you have, you may need more than one type of insurance. At the very least, no matter where you live, you’ll need car insurance coverage
These auto insurance coverages help protect your finances if you’re in an accident. Certain policies can help pay for repairs or replacement if your car is damaged or stolen. For example, if you’re driving and accidently hit your neighbor’s mailbox, this coverage can help pay for damages to your vehicle.
Get a Vehicle Insurance Quote Online
Getting an online car insurance quote from The Hartford is so easy you can do it in minutes. Before you start the quote process, make sure you have your:
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle registration
- Documentation from your current auto insurance
Save Money on Vehicle Insurance With an AARP Membership
We offer anyone 50 years and older insurance coverage for all their vehicles at affordable rates. Some car insurance discounts
and benefits that can help you save money include:
- Accident forgiveness: We understand every driver makes mistakes. As long as all the drivers on your car insurance policy have a clean driving record for five straight years with The Hartford, you’ll qualify for accident forgiveness.‡
- RecoverCare: With this benefit, you can get up to $2,500 to pay for transportation, cooking, cleaning and other help you may need if you’re injured in a car accident.§
- Disappearing deductible: Your collision deductible will be reduced over time as long as you maintain a clean driving record.‡
- Bundling your insurance: With our home and auto insurance bundle, you can save up to 5% on your auto insurance and up to 20% on your condo, renters and home insurance.**
Common Questions About Vehicle Insurance
What Are the Three Primary Types of Car Insurance?
The three primary car coverage types include:
- Liability insurance: This helps cover costs when you’re held legally responsible for a car accident that causes injury or death to the other driver or their passengers.
- Collision insurance: If you’re in an accident with another vehicle or object, this coverage can help pay for damages. It can also help cover rollover accidents or someone smashing into your parked car.
- Comprehensive insurance: This coverage helps pay for damages to your car from accidents with animals like a deer and non-accident related claims. This includes natural disasters, vandalism, theft, fire and falling objects.
How Much Does Vehicle Insurance Cost?
- Driving history
- Vehicle type
- Deductible amount
- Average miles driven in a year
- Coverage limits
- Vehicle’s age
How Do I Calculate My Vehicle Insurance?
We determine your vehicle insurance cost based on factors like driving history and vehicle type, among others. We’ll also need important information to calculate how much your insurance will cost, including:
- Your claim and insurance history
- The licensed drivers on your policy
- How often you use your vehicle
- Your credit score
- Your zip code